Saturday, November 28, 2015

Whiskey Apple Tarts

When the weather turns chilly, my first instinct is to bake! My momma asked me to make some Apple tarts she'd seen on Pinterest, and I obliged, but I decided to put our own little spin on it. We made a nice apple whiskey glaze, and it is good stuff!

With my sweet Mrs. Claus apron... because I can!


INGREDIENTS

  • 3-4 apples, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 c applesauce
  • 2 T honey
  • 2 T apple whiskey
  • 2 cans of honey croissant dough (Pillsbury)
  • powdered sugar to taste

PROCEDURE

The first step is to slice the apples up, nice and thin.  You want to shoot for the slices to be about 1/8".  Too thick, and it won't bend to make the rose.  Too thin, and you won't really taste the apple.  Once you have the slices, you'll need to microwave (or otherwise cook) the slices so they're pliable.  I ended up microwaving about 10 slices, enough for one tart, at a time for 15-20 seconds.  To make the glaze, whisk together the applesauce, honey and whiskey.
Next, we opened up the cans of dough and rolled them out.  The dough from Pillsbury was perforated for croissants, so I pushed those back together so they wouldn't fall apart while trying to roll up the roses.  Each can of dough needs to be cut into 6 long rectangles.  The rectangles got a line of the applesauce glaze, and a line of softened apples.  See the pic below for how to set it up.

After this, fold the dough up on top of the apples, but make sure the top of the apples are still sticking out to make the petals.

Fold the dough up, and roll into spiral shapes.  Place each rose in a muffin tin, and bake in a 350* oven for 16-20 minutes, or until golden brown.  I put more of the glaze on each after they finished baking, and a nice sprinkle of powdered sugar.

If there's one suggestion I could make, I would make the dough on the thinner side, so it doesn't expand so much as it bakes.  It won't taste any different, but it'll look more delicate and pretty when it's out of the oven!  ;-)



In their happy little cups!



If you're ever on pinterest, you've probably seen some version of this recipe.  I feel like a lot of blogs try to make this whole thing sound super easy...  It's not terribly hard, but it takes a couple of times to get the hang of how soft the apples need to be and how tight you need to roll the dough.  Thankfully, I only had one I screwed up beyond repair.  If you give this a try, I'd love to see pictures and know what you think about the applesauce and whiskey glaze!




P.S.

Don't forget to sign up for our email notifications, and to follow us on facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment